Saturday, March 15, 2014

The great sewing room reno

Right after the Christmas holidays my husband and work-for-free contractor started working on my sewing space.   I have been perching on this makeshift sewing surface for years and it wasn't really working well for me. If it was left up to me, I would've perched, makeshift-style, for decades because I'm a go-with-the-flow kind of chick. He decided that I needed a new desk.  Who was I to refuse?  I'll sacrifice.  Ha!

So I gave him my list of must-have features, and he started a design.  We decided that it sometimes needed to be a large work surface for when I'm quilting those really big quilts.  But since it's a small room we wanted it to be retractable because there isn't room for an 8 ft table most of the time.  I also wanted to stow away the machines when not in use.  I used to do a lot of garment sewing, so I have a several different kinds of machines, most of those don't get used daily, so they don't need to be around collecting dust.  So he built a huge set of drawers to contain the machines and provide storage for other things as well.

Since I was getting new furniture, I decided that a new wall color was in order. I had been wanting to update to blue anyway, so this was the motivation I needed. Change the trim out from brown to white and voila!  I love this shade of deep teal blue.
Sewing Room Reno

The table itself is pretty cool. The retractable desktop pulls out when needed to a full length of over 8'  but is tucked away when not in use! Handy no?

Sewing Room Reno

Those 2 giant drawers are actually big enough and strong enough to hold my machines when not in use.
Sewing Room Reno

And the upper cabinet holds all my supplies. I'm not big on clutter, so I like to have everything neatly stored away when not in used.
Sewing Room Reno

The new surface is fantastic to work at! I'm so pleased with my new space. The hubs is pretty handy with the tools which makes me one lucky lady indeed. He even added an handy little notions drawer for all my machine feet and oft-used notions all stowed away neatly. Sewing Room Reno

 Here's an iPhone pano of the whole space. It definitely still needs some work, but it's getting there. I feel so much more productive already.
Sewing room pano

The room used to be an office and reading space. So we had these handy drawers for CD storage.  Well let's face it, since the invention of the iPod who uses CD's anymore? We packed them off to storage and low-and-behold the drawers work perfectly for fat quarters! Woot!  Bonus! And best part is that they are out of the light and packed away when not needed. Love that.

Handy Fat Quarter drawers

The new space still needs some tweaks.  I need to tackle some big piles that need to be destashed and relocated.  It needs some sewing baskets, some new wall art (that poor old Matisse print is faded beyond recognition) and I need to redo my sewing chair.  All in good time. Well, I'm off to tackle that gigantic pile of knits I need to destash.

Happy Sewing!
  Favorite cozy corner - done!  getting there

11 comments:

Tamie said...

What a lovely space to work in. My husband is very handy too which is lovely bur I haven't challenged him this much yet. Thanks for sharing.

Amy Friend said...

So awesome! I love how much storage you have...wish I had some. My room seriously lacks space and walls. The pull out table top is particularly cool. Good work hubby!

StitchyDragon Creates said...

What a gorgeous space to work in! I think it's much easier to create when you're in a calm, organised space :-) Well done to your handy hubbie - that's given me some ideas to challenge mine ;-) Enjoy your new room, I look forward to seeing what you make in there! Helen

Lisa Lisa said...

Oh my goodness, Caroline! I need to invite myself over for a glass of wine to check out your room, especially that retracting sewing table! What the heck!

Bettina said...

Stunning and practical- perfect combination! Makes me wish I was your neighbour & sewing buddy:)
Hat of to your husband as well
Happy sewing indeed!

Peg said...

Well done hubby, a great sewing space, it looks great. I'm eagerly awaiting a call from my son he's designed me a new sewing table with drawers and a cut out so my machine is flat bed. I'm so excited.

Peg x

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

Oh I swooned when I saw the retractable desktop! You are lucky your husband is so handy. What a great place to create!

Design by Lannette said...

Wow! Love the table top and the deep drawers! I've been planning to restructure my studio to be more efficient storage wise and more space saving for those BIG gowns. A retractable table is just the ticket! Thanks for sharing!

Patty said...

I wanted to thank you for the DR Who quilt along. I just finished my quilt and have it hanging in my sewing space - which isn't nearly as nice as yours!

http://ncweekendquilter.blogspot.com/2014/04/hello-sweetie.html

Anonymous said...

You lucky duck. This room is awesome. The sewing machine draw is amazing.

Tina said...

Wow! I love that table for your sewing/sewing machines!! Enjoy!