Monday, April 15, 2013

Paper piecing some baby book blocks

Recently,  I received this lovely book in the mail ~ Patchwork Please by Ayumi Takahashi.
I totally love Ayumi's patchwork style - so scrappy and colorful and full of thoughtful details.  When I scanned through the book I found this totally adorable baby books quilt which is foundation pieced.  I needed another baby quilt for an expectant mom, so this fit the bill perfectly. It lets me use my scraps of prized prints (Munki and Heather Ross) and showcases them beautifully.

Books for baby quilt from #patchworkplease @ayumills

So I just started piecing the blocks with some of my favorite prints while trying to keep it on the boyish side of the aisle.


Then after a few more blocks, I kind of figured they should have some sort of cohesive colors scheme and I opted for orange, blue, green and yellow.

Baby book blocks so far #patchworkplease

Finally, all the blocks were done. I did forget to flip half the blocks over in the other direction, so mine all go in the same direction, but I don't think the recipients will ever know the difference.

I also made the quilt a bit smaller and used only 12 blocks in the final quilt. I added some summersville cross hatch around each of the blocks and some Kona sashing in Ash gray and voila! The top is done.
Top done ~ for a baby boy #patchworkplease baby books blocks
Now to decide on the quilting.  Have to think on that one for a bit...

Happy Sewing!



5 comments:

Lisa Lisa said...

Super cute! What line is the one with cars, vans, and bikes on it? I love it!

yageol do it 2 said...

beautyful and so bright, i love it!

Debbie said...

This is just delightful!! And what great book covers you have!

AmandaK@whatthebobbin said...

What a fun way to use those special fussy cut prints. Nice.

ayumills said...

I've already told you how much I love this book quilt, but I just had to say it again! It is really such a cute quilt quilt, Caroline! The cohesive colors scheme is a wonderful idea and you picked perfect fabrics to showcase!