Monday, February 1, 2010

Doll t-shirt tute


Here's a quick little tute for an 18" doll t-shirt. My daughter is really into these dolls lately, as are a lot of her friends, so I thought it would be fun to make up matching t-shirts for both her and her doll.
I drafted a basic t-shirt pattern. You can print this out to scale and use it for your personal use. (try right clicking on the photo and either print directly or save it to your computer, then print it. Alternatively you can right click and open in a new page and print from there). The line drawn on the pieces indicates 2". The pattern includes 1/4" seam allowances everywhere except where noted for the hems. You will also need a 3-4" long piece of velcro cut in half lengthwise.

You should cut out 2 sleeves, 2 back pieces and 1 front. I also cut a straight piece cut across the grain for the neckband. I cut mine 1" x 7". Here are the cut out pieces. Make sure you transfer the fold line markings (dotted line) to the 2 back pieces.

Ok ready to sew it up?
Start by hemming up the sleeves - I used a 1/2" hem

Sew the shoulder seams connecting the front and back pieces, right sides together.
Then attach the neckband. Fold the neckband in half, wrong sides together, then sew both halves to the neckline starting at the fold line on the back pieces. Stretch the neckband slightly as you go.

Attach the sleeves, placing right sides together, and sew.
Sew up the side seams and sleeve seam all in one go.
Next fold over the back pieces at the center fold lines and topstitch into place.
They should look like this when you are done.

Next sew up the bottom hem - again I used a 1/2" hem here. Then sew on the velcro strip.
Place one long velcro strip on the outside on one back piece and the on inside of the opposite back at the fold so that they line up. I used a 3" piece of velcro cut in half lengthwise.

Alternatively, you can use Fold-over-elastic (FOE) in place of the 7" strip of knit fabric. Here's another shirt with FOE on the neckline.
And that's it! You are done. Enjoy


Happy Sewing!

44 comments:

michal said...

This is so cute! my daughters will love it! Thanks so much for sharing...

Kari Sweeten said...

Doll clothes can be so expensive!! Thanks for sharing this and I'll be featuring!

Sadie said...

Thank you so much for this!!! My daughter has been begging me for new clothes for her doll and I just can't pay the prices... Now, I can attempt to do it myself. And my daughter has been begging for doll pajamas so I'm guessing if I just made the shirt longer, it would be perfect pajamas! Thank you so much!

Cathy said...

Hi! I just love your cute doll clothes! They are especially great cause they have velcro!!! Easy on/off for little ones to do by themselves!

Anne said...

Great tutorial!! My daughter LOVES for me to make clothes for her AG doll. Definitely printing this out for the next doll-clothes making session!

I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/free-pattern-t-shirt-for-18-dolls/2010/02/13/

--Anne

Kelly, Carrie, Kylie and Zachary said...

Thanks for the great tutorial. I have been wanting to make my daughter some clothes for her dolls. Now I have a place to start.

CraftCrave said...

Thank you! This blog post will be advertised on CraftCrave in the Handcraft category today (look for timestamp: [16 Feb 01:00pm GMT]).

GreenTea said...

Thanks for sharing this, I can't wait to try it.

rjtmom said...

I am having trouble printing out the adorable t-shirt pattern. I click on the pic but nothing happens :(

Caroline ~ TrilliumDesign said...

rjtmom Not sure what to tell you, it's working for me. Maybe try a different browser? You can also link to the pic here ~ http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/wJSmx-uZvHuw8KUWH_rwE9cWH1iMJO91WopiwM9QTrU?feat=directlink

rjtmom said...

It works now :) Thanks so much!

Deb said...

This is EXACTLY what I was needing! Thank you!!

Kathy said...

I cannot find the pattern to print. When I click on the picture of the pattern, nothing happens.

Tami / Maddie Lumpkin said...

Just what I was looking for! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

i adapted your design for a sock monkey shirt! worked wonderfully. thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

thank you so much
Jean DeRoest

sewok said...

Thanks so much for the pattern. Will be using it shortly for my girls. Phyllis

Sosewsuzi said...

Thank you for sharing this Tee shirt pattern. I plan on making some Tee's for my Granddaughters

dolls.

Theresa said...

Thank you for this T-shirt pattern. It's so cute and my granddaughters will enjoy their new tops.

jbleil said...

Thanks so much for sharing your tutorial.

Annette said...

thanks for the pattern & tutorial - I know they'll be very useful!!!

Loyce Eiils said...

Thanks for the cute pattern.

Sosewsuzi said...

Thanks for sharing your tutorial and pattern. Plan on using it soon to make T-shirts for my Granddaughters dolls.

Marti said...

Thank you for providing a free t-shirt pattern. I'm eager to use some of my children's knits with it.

Marti

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the pattern and tutorial.....will be using it to make T-shirts for my Granddaughters doll.

Suzi More

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the easy tute! I plan on making tops for my granddaughter's doll. thanks again

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pattern.
Diane in WA

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your generosity in providing instructions and patterns. Sue Ranek

primcreek said...

Thank you so much for sharing this adorable tee pattern.

Terri in Illinois

primcreek said...

Thank you so much for sharing this adorable pattern!

Terri in Illinois

Mary Schreiber said...

Thank you for the tutorial. This will make some nice doll clothes for my grand daughters. My dolls will be very happy with their new clothes. Mary7

Karen said...

thanks for the pattern - looks simple enough

Roxie said...

Thanks so much for the cute t-shirt pattern, can't wait to try it out.

sande said...

thank you for this pattern; our doll group is using it for the april sew-along, and it looks to be quite versatile!! nice people like you make the world a better place!! love andprayers, sande

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this great pattern. Donna Cole

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your t shirt pattern. I am going to have fun with this in more ways than one. TY Pixey

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the t shirt pattern. Will be making with for my great niece.
Judy W.

Connie M said...

Thank you for this shirt pattern!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for sharing!

Unknown said...

Thank you very much for sharing this unique pattern

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great tutorial and pattern, very sweet of you!

Wholesale online Shop said...

Aw this is so cute. I will try this for my daughter thank you so much for this post. Amazing blog.

Anonymous said...

Last night I extended the sleeves to AG wrist and made a black long sleeve top to go under a MIZZOU cheerleading outfit, I made a MU cheerleader outfit for my 7 yr old grandie (even thou she lives in Kansas) and matching one for Saige. First pattern I have gotten of "net that worked! Velcro big help in dressing. thank you

Anonymous said...

This is great! Thanks for sharing. We are in a shortage of T-Shirts for Saige and our new addition, Alexis. Now we have to have 2 of everything.